Commercial Water and Flood Damage in Akron, Ohio
A storm flooded this commercial business in Akron, Ohio.
The day to day running a business can be routine, but when a water or fire disaster happens it could be catastrophic. It is important to have a plan in place for when floods, sprinkler malfunctions or a fire disrupts your employees work-flow.
Natural disasters are occurring more frequent and with more intensity here in Akron, Ohio. Just this Spring business owners are experiencing storm disasters that created floods, tornadoes, hail and wind damage. This causes millions of dollars in damages to the businesses they destroy. While you can't prevent a natural disaster from occurring, you can help minimize its impact on your business by being prepared if disaster strikes.
Plan of Action
In order to be prepared, you need to develop a contingency plan in case of an emergency, as well as emergency procedures. SERVPRO of West Akron has an Emergency Ready Profile that is a free assessment of your facility for when such disasters strike your business. The SERVPRO ERP identifies the line of command for authorizing the clean up and restoration to begin. This saves time which will get your business up and running quicker saving time and money. It also provides detailed information such as water and gas shut-off valve locations and priority contact information. This will provide the crews a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call.
Please don't wait until disaster strikes call SERVPRO of West Akron today to get your individualized Emergency Ready Profile for your commercial facility ~ 330-867-5723!
Water Damage Caused by Clogged Gutters in Akron, Ohio
Water Damage to a ceiling from a roof leak caused by clogged gutters in Akron, Ohio.
The importance of cleaning your gutters when it comes to water damage to your home in Akron, Ohio.
The reason we have gutters on our home is to collect the rainwater from the roof and divert it away from our house saving us from possible water or mold damage to the exterior or interior of homes. It is important to check your gutters during the Spring and Fall months to see if the seasonal elements have destroyed or clogged your gutters. Below are tips to help make sure you avoid the possibilities of future water or mold disasters.
- Replacing gutters on older homes: If you live in an historic home with older style gutters than replacing them maybe needed. Older style gutters are made up of segments that are joined together at seams and attached to the fascia with screws. These seams and openings collect water that can’t easily escape, encouraging the growth of mold that can spread to the fascia and roof.
- Steeped pitched roof – If you live in a home that has a steeply pitched roof during very heavy rainfall the gutters on the home can’t handle the volume of the water flow. The excessive water flow can damage your outside deck, patio or even foundation. It is important to inspect these gutters regularly to make sure they aren’t clogged or replacing them with larger higher-capacity gutters.
- Clogged gutters – If you have mature trees of any kind then most likely your gutters will become clogged with leaves, sticks, pine needles and…..Cleaning these gutters out with a leaf blower, wet vacuum, gutter scoop, power washer or even by hand will help prevent the flow of water down the spout and flowing over the gutter onto the fascia and causing possible water damage to the foundation.
- Seasonal Storms – Heavy Spring storms bring rain, hail, or windstorms that can crack gutters or send leaves, twigs, or longer branches from nearby trees into gutters. This debris can then decompose in the gutter and slow or completely block the normal flow of water away from your home causing water damage. For these reasons, it is prudent to inspect your gutter after every heavy storm, clearing out debris and sealing any holes with gutter caulk. During the winter months ice and snow can take a toll on gutters. The heavy amount of snow and ice rooftops can cause nearby gutters to crack or detach from the house, while ice dams can lead to leaks in your attic or ceiling as well as damage to the roof, gutters, or foundation.
SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723 your 24/7 Emergency Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration Company!
Pet Fire Safety
A smoke detector that was in a fire in Akron, Ohio.
Did you know that house fires affect approximately 500,000 pets each year?
This statistic and tips are according to the American Fire Administration. A pet can easily start a house fire by accidentally knocking over a candle when left attended. They can also knock over halogen lamps and space heaters by a wagging tail or a curious cat. Puppies and kittens can chew and fry electrical cords that be a fire hazard. Here are a few ways to be prepared to keep your pets safe from fire dangers.
- Install plenty of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- Check your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors regularly and change their batteries at least twice a year.
- Invest in monitored smoke detectors. A monitoring smoke detector will notify a fire department if a fire develops while you are away from your home.
- Post stickers on your door and windows to alert fire fighters that there are pets in the household. Put information on these notes that describe how many and what kind of pets are living in the home.
- Make sure your pets wear a collar with identification tags and have a microchip implanted. Taking these precautions can avoid the heartache of a lost pet during these times of chaos.
- Create an evacuation plan for your family and pets. Make sure everyone in your family knows the escape routes.
- Keep leashes, pet carriers and treats by an exit. You will need these to help evacuate your pets during a fire.
Unfortunately, we can never prevent or predict when and if a fire will happen, the most important thing we can do is be prepared!
Severe Storms Can Produce Flooding in Akron, Ohio
Our crews had to remove wet drywall and flooring to a basement that flooded in Akron, Ohio.
Devastating storms and tornadoes have destroyed homes and businesses in Ohio this week and more storms are on the way. It is important to always be prepared for severe flooding with these storms. SERVPRO of West Akron is here to help you 24 hours a day to clean up and restore your water damaged home or business to preloss condition.
Here are some things to do to be prepared before the storm water damage happens:
- Watch for pooling water around the perimeter of your property. If needed, create a channel away from your building.
- Make sure all gutters are clear of debris and downspouts are directed away from the base of your building.
- Check sump pumps to make sure they are on and working. People forget to check sump pumps after a power outage.
Here are a few things to do, if your basement starts to flood:
- Move items that are on the floor to higher ground. Put larger items on blocks.
- If water rises to electrical outlets than turn off your power. If you can’t reach your electrical box because of the rising water than evacuate immediately and contact an electrician.
- Remove debris from your storm drains. Clearing the debris will help keep the water flowing away from your property.
If your basement floods in Akron, Ohio it is important to act fast to dry out any wet items, particularly structural materials like walls and flooring. Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to extract any water. Our crews have the training and experience to make flood damage “Like it never even happened.”
Continuing Education Courses for Insurance Agents and Adjusters
SERVPRO of West Akron hosting our last continuing education class.
Continuing Education Insurance Courses
SERVPRO of West Akron offers the following continuing education classes for our local insurance agents and adjusters:
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Restorative Drying in the Restoration Industry
- Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry
- Restorative Drying for Water Damage
- Mitigation Awareness Response Seminar
- Biohazard Cleanup
- Restoring Contaminated Buildings
- Cleaning and Restoring Smoke-Damaged Contents
- Deodorization of Malodors
Our corporate continuing education specialists will educate local agents and adjusters with detailed information about water, fire and mold clean up and restoration that will educate them to better service their customers.
If you need Continuing Education Courses, please contact your local sales marketing manager:
All our classes are free of charge and include drinks and food. We also handle all the paper work to the state. Please call Robyn to find out what, when and where are next continuing education will be.
SERVPRO of West Akron the Water Restoration Company To Call
SERVPRO equipment used to dry-out a structure.
Has your home or business been damaged by water? Who do you call? What do they do?
SERVPRO of West Akron is a preferred restoration vendor in Ohio that has the credentials, knowledge, and team to help restore your home after a flood, pipe-break, sump pump or sewage back up, appliance malfunction and more. A quick response is key to preventing further secondary damage.
Our crews inspect the areas where the water has intruded to identify the extent to which water has traveled throughout the structure. We will walk the property with the homeowner and discuss the process that we will use to dry out the structure. The information gathered in this initial inspection will also be documented and then used to plan the needed emergency procedures.
The crews will begin the mitigation process, the first step is to fix the problem of the water loss before drying out the structure. A plumber may need to be called to fix the sump pump or pipe-break. After the problem has been fixed and water is still standing the crews will extract any remaining water. This is important to control the moisture and contamination.
The next step is to quickly return to a dry condition, the less damage. We believe the importance of restoring a structure and its belongings than replacing them. This saves money for the homeowner and insurance company. Placing dehumidifiers and air-mover equipment will remove the moisture through evaporation and dehumidification.
After the crews have tested the structure with moisture meters to confirm that the structure and its contents are now dry than the drying services are done. The repairs of any drywall, flooring, cabinets, etc. will be completed and final cleaning will be done. The property will be back to its preloss condition.
SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24 hours a day at 330-867-5723.
The 3 Categories of Water Damage in Akron, Ohio
If you experience a water disaster and you need a professional water restoration company that has the knowledge and experience to clean up and restore your home or business, then you need to call the crews at SERVPRO of West Akron.
The water damage clean-up crews of SERVPRO of West Akron service residential homes and commercial businesses in the Akron, Ohio area including Stow, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, Munroe Falls and surrounding the communities.
Our crews have dealt with many different damages from water to homes and businesses. Whether it be from heavy storms that flood buildings or back up sump pumps to pipe breaks, leaky roofs or a toilet overflows, we can clean and dry up the water to restore your structure to preloss condition. The knowledge of our crews can determine the category of water loss.
Three Categories of Water Damage
We follow the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) of the three different levels and classes of water damage:
Each category has a classification that determines the level of risk and differential of cleaning.
Category 1 The water comes from a sanitary source such as water lines, faucets, toilet tanks, drinking fountains, etc. Although the water is clean and has no substantial risk from dermal, ingestion, or inhalation exposure. It may not always remain clean after it comes into contact with other surfaces or materials. Also, if it isn’t cleaned up quickly, it can degrade into a category 2 leading to health issues and increasing loss to the structure.
Category 2 This water contains significant contamination and has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness if contacted or consumed. This water is from dishwashers, washing machines, toilet overflow with urine, but not feces, and other sources where the water has been “used”. It may contain potentially unsafe levels of microorganisms or nutrients for microorganisms, as well as other organic or inorganic matter (chemical or biological).
Category 3 The water contains dangerously unsanitary containments. It could cause serious illness or even death if ingested. It is usually from a sewer backup, flooding from rivers or streams. Toilet overflow with feces and stagnant water that has become a habitat for bacterial growth.
It is always important to call water damage professionals to help clean up and restore your home. Call the SERVPRO of West Akron crews at 330-867-5723. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even on holidays!
Why Call SERVPRO of West Akron? Read some of our Reviews
Our crew is here to help you!
We appreciate all of our wonderful reviews from our awesome customers!
We had a pipe burst and a flood in our house. It was the start of a very busy weekend of water damage in our area and SERVPRO W. Akron came to our rescue quickly! They mitigated our water issue within 3 days and we were so thankful we didn’t have to wait. The guys who did the work were polite and efficient. Everyone we talked to was friendly and made sure our needs were met. Thank you, SERVPRO for helping to dry out our house so quickly. We are grateful!
Excellent Job by SERVPRO!
The team that came to my house to clean up my sewer backup was professional and quick with their work. They took care of and found things I didn't even know were affected.
Thank you SERVPRO!
Thank you for taking great care of us and for your prompt service!
If you have a water, fire, mold damage to your home or business, please call the professional and knowlegeable team at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723!
Commercial Water Damage in Akron, Ohio
SERVPRO equipment was placed in a storage room in an Akron building after a pipe break.
Commercial Water Damage
You probably would think that a fire or a strong wind storm would do more damage to your commercial property, but in fact Water damage is one of the most serious threats any real property will ever face. Water damage may appear less serious than it is, but it's crucial that a property owner recognize any water damage that has happened and to call a professional mitigation restoration company immediately.
A gallon of water, pipe break or flooding has the potential to cause serious and lasting water damage. It is important to begin the mitigation and restoration process quickly, so the water doesn’t seep into drywall, flooring and other structural components. When this occurs and the property isn’t properly dried then it can cause mold and rot, eventually causing structural compromise. If the restoration and mitigation efforts are not started within one week of a pipe break or major flooding the damaged property will often become uninhabitable. Getting a restoration company in the first 24 hours after the water damage will successfully restore your property. SERVPRO of West Akron has the knowledge, training and equipment to assess the damage and to successfully mitigate and restore the building. If the water damage is addressed quickly then the building will be completely remediated, saving the property and restoring it to its preloss condition.
After a property owner had discovered the water damage and SERVPRO has been called our estimator will enter the property to find the source of the water loss. Once it has been discovered and fixed the crews will assess the level of water damage using sophisticated equipment, such as hygrometers and infrared detection devices, the crews will determine if the water has seeped into places not seen with the naked eye. After determining the areas that have water damage the crews will extract any standing water. After all standing water is removed the drying process begins by placing dehumidifiers and industrial drying fans. The last phase is the final cleanup. This involves disinfecting and thoroughly cleaning all surfaces and furniture. At this point, the property will be completely restored.
Visit www.SERVPROwestakron or call our office at 330-823-4088 for more information on water damage.
Keeping Your Bedroom Doors Can Save You From a Fire in Akron, Ohio
Fire damage to a home in Akron, Ohio. The family got out safe.
There are plenty of home fire safety tips to be prepared before there is every any danger of a fire. Of course, it is important to have smoke detectors, throwing away frayed electrical cords, not smoking in bed, or leaving candles unattended, but there is also something else that is very important that people are forgetting to do daily and that is closing your bedroom doors while you sleep.
“According to global independent safety science company UL’s Firefighter Safety Research Institute (FSRI), closing your bedroom door every night before going to sleep could be life-saving. During a nighttime fire, a closed bedroom door can slow the fire’s spread, reduce smoke levels, and provide a barrier against deadly levels of carbon monoxide.”
After a fire has started and the smoke has filled the house having your bedroom door closed at night can give you more time to escape and keep you safe longer while you wait for the fire department. Families belongings, layouts of homes and the materials used in construction is more flammable now. In the 1980’s families had about 17 minutes to escape from their home before it was up in flames and today families only have about 3 minutes to get out the door. Every second counts, so closing bedroom doors will give that added time that may make the difference between life and death.
If you have any fire damage to your home, call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to restore your home.