4th of July Fun can Cause Fire Damage
SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7 in case of a fire during the 4th of July. Be safe this holiday in Canton, Ohio.
Summer weather means cookouts, Fourth of July fireworks, and all sorts of campfire fun! We want to make sure that all our Akron residents will stay safe. Below are some interesting statistics and fire tips to share with your loved ones during the holiday.
- The earliest documentation of fireworks dates back to 7th century China, more than 2000 years ago.
- 40% of those injured are under the age of 16. Keep children away from fireworks.
- Fireworks are not fun for animals. Always keep dogs and cats inside the house when fireworks are being let off. Stay calm and make sure they have somewhere to hide.
- Helpful Tips: Make sure fireworks are legal in your area. Keep a bucket of water or hose near in case of a fire. Never re-light or pick up used fireworks.
- 74 Million Americans will be grilling on the 4th of July.
- 1 Trillion pounds of meat is grilled each 4th of July.
- Propane is the power source for 69% of all frill fires on residential properties.
- Helpful Tips: Never use a grill indoors or in a garage. Keep grill 10 feet away from your house, pets, and kids. If you have a grease fire, use baking soda to put it out, not water.
- Campfires can burn around 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1 out of 3 forest fires are started by people who are careless with campfires.
- Create a fore line for young children. Using a rope, create a boundary surrounding the fire to keep children from getting to close to the flames.
- Helpful Tips: Clear a 5-foot area around your fire to keep flames from spreading. Do not allow children to play around the fire unsupervised. Make sure that the fire is fully extinguished before leaving the area.
If you do have fire damage know that SERVPRO of West Akron is a call and ready throughout the entire Holiday weekend! We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and/or smoke damage. Call us 24/7 at 330-867-5723.
Water Damage to a Commercial Property in Akron, Ohio
SERVPRO of West Akron can help clean up and restore your commercial property after a water, mold, storm or fire damage.
From a sprinkler malfunction to natural flooding disasters, water inside a commercial structure is never a good thing. When you have suffered from a water damage, you need to get the experts in there to completely remove the moisture, and get you back to work fast!
Timeline of water damage to a commercial building:
- Water quickly spreads into floors, drywall, fixtures, equipment, and documents.
1 to 24 hours:
- Drywall swells and brakes
- Hardwoods and furnishings swell and crack
- Microbial growth begins
- Mold growth accelerates
- Wood is saturated and warped
- Ceilings collapse
- Flooring is likely on salvageable
7 days and beyond:
- Structural safety is compromised
- Contaminants are a serious threat
- Mold spores’ risk to occupants
- Restoration costs escalate
Plan of Action
To be prepared, you need to develop a contingency plan in case of a water, fire, mold, or storm damage emergency. SERVPRO of West Akron has an Emergency Ready Profile that is a free assessment of your facility for when such disasters strike your business. The SERVPRO ERP identifies the line of command for authorizing the cleanup and restoration to begin. This saves time which will get your business up and running quicker saving time and money. It also provides detailed information such as water and gas shut-off valve locations and priority contact information. This will provide the crews a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call.
Please do not wait until disaster strikes call SERVPRO of West Akron today to get your individualized Emergency Ready Profile for your commercial facility ~ 330-867-5723!
Sump Pump Tips to Avoid a Flooded Basement
A broken sump pump can cause flooding in your basement and can lead to severe water damage in Akron, Ohio.
What is a sump pump? It is a pump to remove any water that collects in your home’s sump basin. The sump basin is typically in your basement to collect any water that makes its way inside from heavy rains or extra ground water. If the pump fails for whatever reason, any water that collects in the sump basin can eventually overflow into the basement and cause water damage.
Six tips that every sump pump owner should know to avoid water damage to your basement.
- Confirm pump is working before a rainstorm. Pour a bucket of water into your sump pump to activate pump.
- Clean the interior of your sump out. Some pumps that are not used regularly are more prone to developing sediment. If the lid of your sump pump does not cover the basin some objects may end up in some pump and cause a clog.
- Install a battery backup system. Install a secondary pump that is battery operated. This is important in the instance of a power outage. The battery backup pump is going to runoff the battery when the primary pump does not have electricity also in the situation where your primary pump is not keeping up with the extra inflow of water.
- Knowing the type of sump pump equipment. If your sump pump breaks or malfunction you know your model and serial number to quickly purchase any parts to fix your pump.
- How your sump pump operates. Knowing the workings of the system and how it operates will help you troubleshoot and determine any malfunctions allowing you to save money. Also, knowing how it operates will prevent you from being taken advantage of by professionals.
- Alarm system – Installing an alarm will let you know when your sump pump has stopped working.
It is important to either install a battery back-up or an alarm to your sump pump to prevent basement flooding. It will save you money in the long run.
If you experience a basement flooding from your sump pump, call the professional team at SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723.
Fire Pit Safety Tips to Prevent a Home Fire in Akron, Ohio
Fire pit safety tips to prevent a fire to your home in Akron, Ohio.
Summer is finally here and during this time of the Coronavirus, it’s time to spend more time outside! For a lot of us in the Akron area, this is the best time of the year to enjoy open fires. No matter where you enjoy your summer bonfires, safety should always be a high priority. Preventing a fire accident to a structure is far easier than having to call a fire and water restoration in the aftermath of such a devastating event.
Here are a few backyard fire pit safety tips to make sure your summer is fun, safe, and memorable.
- Check that your local authority allows open fires in your yard.
- Never burn pressurized wood.
- Don’t use kerosene or gasoline to light your fire.
- Keep a bucket of water, sand, or a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Find a level place for your fire pit.
- Never build a fire pit with smooth river rocks.
- Place your pit at least 10 feet away from any structures.
- Keep your fire constrained to an appropriate size.
- Check the weather.
If a structure fire occurs from a fire pit, call the professional crews at SERVPRO of West Akron. We are ready to help restore your fire damaged home to preloss condition 365 day a year, 24 hours a day. For more information call 330-867-5723 or visit our website at www.SERVPROwestakron.com.
Spring Storms Can Cause Flooding in Stow, Ohio
Spring storms in Stow, Ohio can cause flooding and water damage to your home.
Strong Spring storms in Summit county, Ohio can produce 60-70 mph winds and torrential rain that can produce flooding. It is important to be prepared before these storms can cause water damage to your home.
Spring Flooding Prevention Guide
Fix Leaks Immediately: If you have cracks in your foundation or roof, it will make it easy for rain to get in and caused water damage.
Purchase Extra Protection: Spend money on your roof and purchase a waterproof barrier so that water does not seep into your home through the cracks.
Close Foundation Cracks: Seal any cracks in your foundation with caulk or masonry, which will fill the gaps for a cheap price.
Battery Powered Sump Pump: If the power goes out then your sump pump will stop as well. Having a battery powered pump will ensure that you are protected.
Move Important Items: Move your valuables to a higher level of your home if you can, it will protect them during a severe flooding event.
Catalog Your Possessions: Taking a home inventory can help you with an insurance claim if your home does end up flooding in the future.
Anchor Fuel Tanks: Unanchored tanks can float and release fuel in the event of a flood, so you should anchor them and wrap them in a waterproof insulation.
Prevent Sewer Back-ups: Install a sewer line check valve, which will ensure that the water only flows one-way which will prevent a flood.
Clear Drains and Gutters: Keep your gutters free of debris so that water is being carried away from your home, not towards it.
Install French Drains: French drains carry water away from your home, and are a good investment for homeowners whose properties are prone to flooding.
Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Flood insurance is available to protect homes, condominiums and non-residential buildings including farm and commercial structures in participating communities. You can buy federal flood insurance through most major private insurance. If you experience a flood in your home or business in the Stow, Ohio area, please call the professional crews at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 for immediate cleanup and restoration. Our crews are available 24 hours a day!
SERVPRO of West Akron is Offering a FREE Continuing Education Class
SERVPRO of West Akron is offering a free virtual Continuing Education Class on May 12, 2020.
FREE Continuing Education Insurance Class
Even during this time of the Covid-19 outbreak we want to make sure that we can help our insurance agents and adjusters to help continue receiving their education courses. We had to cancel our May 19th in person class, but our corporate office instead is offering a FREE 2 credit virtual insurance continuing education class to local insurance agents and adjusters in the Akron, Ohio area.
Date: May 12, 2020
Course: Restorative Drying for Water Damage
Course #: 54172
Time: 10:00 A.M – 12:00 P.M.
E-Class Room Open: 9:15 A.M.
Registration Time: 9:30
Location: Virtual Classroom. Secure password required
100% attendance and a photographic ID are required to receive CE credit for this course. The virtual classroom will open 30 minutes early to check photographic ID and confirm license number.
To RSVP and receive your secure virtual classroom password: e-mail: Mary Keister-Whitmyer at mkeister.whitmyer.SERVPRO@gmail.com -or- call: 330-497-4600.
Why Choose SERVPRO of West Akron for your Water, Fire, Storm or Mold Cleanup?
SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24-hours a day for water, fire, storm and mold clean up and restoration in Akron, Ohio.
SERVPRO of West Akron has been servicing homeowners and businesses owners in the Akron, Tallmadge, Stow, Cuyahoga Falls, Munroe Falls and surrounding communities for water, fire, storm and mold cleanup and restoration. Our office has been open for over 30 years. We have the experience, expertise and equipment to get any size job, nothing is too small or too big for our crews to handle. We can do water mitigation, dry-outs and rebuilds for mid-size and high-rise building downtown Akron. We have an amazing response time to get your job started and will continue with outstanding communication to we finish your job. Our crews are on call 24-hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. There is never a time our teams are not available and ready to help you with your disaster. Our office personnel, estimators, production managers and crew chiefs will work hand in hand with your insurance agents and adjusters to handle your claim and to ensure all work is documented properly and closed quickly and efficiently. SERVPRO has national account status with most major insurance carriers in Ohio. Our office works with all insurance carriers and has national account status with most major carriers in the United States.
Call us at 330-867-5723 or for more information visit our website at www.SERVPROwestakron.com
SERVPRO® is Offering a Proactive Cleaning to Businesses in Akron, Ohio
Call SERVPRO of West Akron is you need a proactive clean of your Akron business from the spread of germs.
SERVPRO of West Akron wants to make sure that you, your employees and your clients stay healthy and safe during this increased concern of the spread of germs and viruses. We are offering a proactive cleaning to our businesses in our area and understand that this is a serious issue and a large responsibility, so SERVPRO® is Here to Help®.
Our team is available 24 hours a day, so we can enter your establishment after hours to not disrupt your normal business hours. The CDC recommends that we will clean and sanitize the commonly used areas such as desks, countertops, workstations, doorknobs, keyboards, and more. We will use SERVPROXIDE™, SERVPRO’s proprietary disinfectant that is a hospital-grade disinfectant that has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses.
Call us today!
If you are interested in minimizing the spread of germs with proactive cleaning call us at 330-867-5723! At SERVPRO®, we’re trained to adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitization standards, making us the #1 choice for cleanup and restoration in Tallmadge, Stow, Cuyahoga Falls, Munroe Falls and Akron property, “Like it never even happened.” Call us 24-hours a day, no job is too small to big for our team.
SERVPRO of West Akron Your Locally Owned and Operated Fire & Water Damage Restoration Company
The crews at SERVPRO of West Akron specialize in fire, water, soot, smoke, and storm cleanup and restoration in Akron, Ohio.
Why Hire the Crews at SERVPRO of West Akron?
The employees that work at SERVPRO of West Akron are smart, creative, passionate, self-directed, and motivated people and have the ability to produce the results that are expected from our customers. We take pride in all our work and take care of each of our customers with the respect and quality of work that is deserved.
About SERVPRO of West Akron
SERVPRO of West Akron specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, water, storm or mold damage disaster. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. Our owners and management staff are continuing learning and training from our SERVPRO’s corporate training facility. Our crews are IICRC-industry certified on a regular basis that make them highly trained to restore your property.
Hiring a fire & water damage restoration company isn’t something that should be taken lightly. It is important to make sure you feel comfortable with the crews that will be entering your home or place of business. It is a traumatic experience having a fire or water loss happen to you, so it requires the help of an expert restoration company, such as SERVPRO of West Akron. We are the absolute best company for the job.
Call us today!
We have what it takes to restore your home or business. We have the experience, reliability, ability to do the job, and the honesty to take care of your home and the possessions inside it. We have years of know-how dealing with homes and businesses that have had extensive fire, water and mold damage, and we know what it takes to restore your Tallmadge, Stow, Cuyahoga Falls, Munroe Falls and Akron property, “Like it never even happened.” Call us 24-hours a day, no job is too small to big for our team. We are always here to help at 330-867-5723.
Defense Against Mold Growth in Commercial Properties in Akron, Ohio.
SERVPRO of West Akron can provide mold mitigation to commercial properties in Akron, Ohio.
For many property owners in Akron, Ohio, mold prevention is important for a safe and healthy work environment. Below are a few tips to prevent mold growth in your company before it starts growing and in the long run it will save you money and time.
- If your property experiences a water damage, prompt mitigation in the first 24-48 hours will prevent mold growth.
- Keep the humidity level in your building between 30% to 60%.
- Provide for proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris.
- Inspect the roof, windows come in any other areas where water might occur in the building and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
SERVPRO of West Akron is a leader in property emergency services, helping business owners overcome water, fire, storm or mold damage. Sometimes, property owners are left feeling stressed and helpless at the time of a disaster. It is important to remember just how essential immediate response to clean up and restoration is important. As soon as flooding, or water damage is noticed, call SERVPRO to perform the restoration process. When water or mold damage take control of your life, we can take it back. Contact SERVPRO of West Akron for assistance after a water damage or if you discover mold at 330-867-5723.