Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Clean you Gutters to Prevent Water Damage and Mold Growth in Summit County
Mold Growth in a basement bedroom due to a water damage in Akron, Ohio.
The fall weather is here in North East Ohio and that means it is time to clean your gutters! Did you know that SERVPRO of West Akron is called out to do water cleanup and/or mold mitigation in basements because of clogged gutters? The reason we have gutters on your home is to guide the heavy rain to the downspouts and away from your home. The importance of cleaning the gutters is to protect your roofs, siding and foundations to your home. If your gutters are clogged the water still needs to go somewhere, so it finds its way down the back of your siding causing the wood to rot and form mold. It can also flow over the sides of the gutter and pool around the foundation. Over time the water can crack the foundation and potentially resulting in water to your basement. Most foundation issues are not covered by insurance. Please be safe when cleaning out your gutters. If you do end up with water damage or mold to your home, please contact SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723.
SERVPRO of West Akron Mold Specialists
Mold growth in a Akron, Ohio basement.
SERVPRO of West Akron Mold Specialists
A plumbing leak, sewage back-up, broken pipes or any other kind of water damage can cause excess moisture in a home which may lead to mold growth. Mold damage and mold growth is actually very common in most homes. Our SERVPRO of West Akron team was called in to clean up this mold growth after this home was unoccupied for several months and moisture had gotten into the home.
Although checking for mold in a home may seem like a simple job, but some mold can hide in your basement and/or attic. It is important to have an expert that has been trained and certified of getting the job done right the first time. We have the right chemicals and equipment for handling mold in a safe manner plus we have the right gear to perform the deodorization processes without putting your family at risk. Trying to preform the mold remediation project can be risky to the occupants of the home. Please call the professionals of SERVPRO of West Akron because we have the skill set and expertise of doing a detailed job!
SERVPRO of West Akron: 330-867-5723
FInding Mold in Akron, Ohio
Mold found behind walls in a basement in Akron, Ohio.
Mold can be seen by the naked eye, but it also can hide behind and underneath places in your home. Mold needs moist areas to begin growing. You may walk into your home or business and smell musty, mildew - moldy smell….here are the top 5 areas that may have mold hidden in your home in Akron, Ohio.
- In Your Walls - The number one place to check for hidden mold is in your walls. If you find mold on the walls its likely you have mold growth inside your walls. Moldy drywall is one of the worst culprits for spreading mold.
- Under Your Carpet and Flooring - The moment your carpet gets wet it becomes a breeding ground for mold. You can also find mold on wood flooring, laminate flooring and can take place on the undersides of tile. The mold feeds on the glue and any moisture trapped there.
- In Storage Areas - Basements, closets, and other storage areas are dark and cool and suffer from water leaks that go unnoticed and therefore ideal for mold growth. Storage areas usually contain cardboard boxes that contain organic matter that mold loves to grow on.
- In Your Ceilings - If there is mold in your walls, then more likely there is mold on your ceilings.
- Behind Furniture – Check behind furniture that is pressed against walls that may trap moisture and create ideal conditions for mold to breed.
Call SERVPRO of West Akron to mitigate mold found in your home or business in Akron, Ohio at 330-867-5753.
Mold Growth and Deodorization in Akron, Ohio
Mold found in a damp basement in Akron, Ohio.
Mold can be found in many areas of your home or business other than walls and ceilings. Your floors, appliances, carpet, or furniture can provide the food mold needs to grow. The thing all molds need to grow is moisture, so you're most likely to see mold in damp places such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, and crawl spaces.
Dry rot is another sign of potential mold damage. Dry rot occurs when something in the structure becomes wet and stays wet. Since mold grows with moisture and humidity, dry rot could indicate that’s a problem in your building. Seeing dry rot might not mean mold is present, but a SERVPRO of West Akron can come out and figure out the issue.
A smelly odor is a good sign that mold may be present. Deodorization is perfectly safe for use if anyone notices a smelly odor, but it’s only a temporary fix for comfort. Deodorization techniques do not kill mold, but they can mask a smelly odor. The reason a smelly odor might be such a problem isn’t the lack of help deodorization provides, but the indication there could be mold growth behind walls. Mold growth behind walls is not noticeable right away.
When anyone sees even the smallest amount mold in their home, it’s time to call SERVPRO of West Akron to handle mold removal, mitigation, and remediation. Call us at 330-867-5723.
Mold Remediation Process in Akron, Ohio
Mold Growth Found after a water damage in a home in Akron, Ohio.
There are several steps to take after finding mold in your home. It is important to remediate the mold problem because it could possibly affect your health and can cause severe damage to your home or business structure. The professional crews at SERVPRO of West Akron are highly trained in mold remediation. Here are the steps to take:
First Step: You must inspect and do damage assessment of your property using technology to detect the mold and any hidden water sources.
Second Step: If mold is found it is important to isolate the area by containing the mold by using physical barriers and negative air pressure keeping the mold spores from spreading during the clean-up process.
Third Step: SERVPRO of West Akron has air filtration that captures the microscopic mold spores that are in the air by using air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of the spores during the remediation process.
Fourth Step: Removing the mold and the materials that are infested by mold by using anti-fungal and antimicrobial treatments. It is important to eliminate mold colonies from forming by removing and disposing of all mold-infested porous material like drywall and flooring.
Fifth Step: Cleaning contents and belongings by using a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize furniture, decorative items, curtains and any other re-storable items affected by the mold. SERVPRO professionals also are trained in removing odors and deodorize using fogging equipment.
Final Step: Restoration may involve minor repairs such as replacing drywall, painting and installing new carpet or major repairs as reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
CALL SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 for mold mitigation and remediation!
Mold Growth due to Water Damage
Mold found under a kitchen sink from water leak.
Mold Growth in homes in Akron, Ohio from water damage.
The most common causes of mold growing on walls are due to high humidity, condensation and water leaks from pipe breaks inside the walls.
Condensation forms when water vapor in the air meets cold surfaces and cools to become liquid. Condensation forms on the perimeter of walls on a house because the outside walls are often colder from the outside air on the other side of the house.
If you have high humidity in your home from drying wet clothes inside or steam from hot water might start mold growth on your walls and ceilings in your home. The best way to decrease humidity is to ventilate your home by opening windows and doors. Also, running a dehumidifier or air conditioning will help remove the humidity in your home.
Leaking pipes near or inside of walls or ceilings are a common cause of mold. If there is a leaking pipe inside a wall cavity then mold will start to grow and unfortunately won’t be discovered until mold has already started.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
SERVPRO of West Akron recommends that you DO:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact a SERVPRO of West Akron and a mold remediation specialist will help you.
SERVPRO of West Akron recommends that you DO NOT:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Have a Mold Problem in Akron, Ohio? Call SERVPRO of West Akron Today at 330-867-5723.
Understand Mold in Summit County Ohio
What Is Black Mold?
Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold often called “black mold” or “toxic mold”. Sensational news reports warn about the dangers of black mold and these stories can be alarming and confusing. Any mold in your home should be treated with caution – stay out of affected areas and don’t touch or disturb the mold.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can produce allergens and irritants, you should contact a qualified mold remediation company regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold can exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect that you have a mold problem, contact a SERVPRO of West Akron immediately at 330-867-5723.
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce toxins harmful to humans and pets.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent
Call SERVPRO of West Akron for mold remediation in your home in Summit County, Ohio. 330-867-5723!