Recent Fire Damage Posts
Pet Fire Safety
A smoke detector that was in a fire in Akron, Ohio.
Did you know that house fires affect approximately 500,000 pets each year?
This statistic and tips are according to the American Fire Administration. A pet can easily start a house fire by accidentally knocking over a candle when left attended. They can also knock over halogen lamps and space heaters by a wagging tail or a curious cat. Puppies and kittens can chew and fry electrical cords that be a fire hazard. Here are a few ways to be prepared to keep your pets safe from fire dangers.
- Install plenty of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- Check your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors regularly and change their batteries at least twice a year.
- Invest in monitored smoke detectors. A monitoring smoke detector will notify a fire department if a fire develops while you are away from your home.
- Post stickers on your door and windows to alert fire fighters that there are pets in the household. Put information on these notes that describe how many and what kind of pets are living in the home.
- Make sure your pets wear a collar with identification tags and have a microchip implanted. Taking these precautions can avoid the heartache of a lost pet during these times of chaos.
- Create an evacuation plan for your family and pets. Make sure everyone in your family knows the escape routes.
- Keep leashes, pet carriers and treats by an exit. You will need these to help evacuate your pets during a fire.
Unfortunately, we can never prevent or predict when and if a fire will happen, the most important thing we can do is be prepared!
Keeping Your Bedroom Doors Can Save You From a Fire in Akron, Ohio
Fire damage to a home in Akron, Ohio. The family got out safe.
There are plenty of home fire safety tips to be prepared before there is every any danger of a fire. Of course, it is important to have smoke detectors, throwing away frayed electrical cords, not smoking in bed, or leaving candles unattended, but there is also something else that is very important that people are forgetting to do daily and that is closing your bedroom doors while you sleep.
“According to global independent safety science company UL’s Firefighter Safety Research Institute (FSRI), closing your bedroom door every night before going to sleep could be life-saving. During a nighttime fire, a closed bedroom door can slow the fire’s spread, reduce smoke levels, and provide a barrier against deadly levels of carbon monoxide.”
After a fire has started and the smoke has filled the house having your bedroom door closed at night can give you more time to escape and keep you safe longer while you wait for the fire department. Families belongings, layouts of homes and the materials used in construction is more flammable now. In the 1980’s families had about 17 minutes to escape from their home before it was up in flames and today families only have about 3 minutes to get out the door. Every second counts, so closing bedroom doors will give that added time that may make the difference between life and death.
If you have any fire damage to your home, call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to restore your home.
SERVPRO of West Akron, Fire Damage Specialists
This home was severely damaged by a fire in Akron, Ohio. The homeowners called the team of SERVPRO of West Akron to restore their belongings.
When a person needs to be sure that they can keep their home in great condition after an emergency, it pays to do business with a number of contractors who can provide their assistance. Fire damage and water damage from fire are two of the most devastating types of damage that a home can encounter. If anyone is dealing with fire or water damage from fire, it pays to touch base with a fire cleanup company in your local area of Akron, Ohio who can provide help. Consider these tips to make the most out of this situation.
What are the benefits of hiring a professional company for help?
Anyone dealing with smoke damage or soot damage needs a fire cleanup company to mitigate the work. The reason for this is that soot damage and smoke damage are incredibly debilitating and can cause extensive damage that is hard to deal with. By getting in touch with contractors who can handle the work, homeowners will get the best air quality possible in order to remain healthy and safe inside.
What tips are important when hiring a fire cleanup company in the Akron area?
Anyone in Summit County can benefit in getting in touch with companies that can improve air quality and get rid of damage. This pays dividends as it pertains to keeping the home in the highest condition possible. Fire and smoke can create extraordinary damage, which can be expensive and troubling. By having the help of contractors in the area, people will be able to make the most out of their household and prevent an emergency from becoming any worse. Instead, they will be able to tidy their home up and prevent serious damage that will last a long time.
How can a person hire one of these companies?
A person who wants to get all that they need out of the restoration process will want to do business with the best company in the area who can provide assistance. In order to make this happen, it pays to start with the Better Business Bureau and local and state listings throughout Ohio. This will point out the highest quality companies in the area and will allow people to get all that they need in terms of matching up with the best. People should also reach out to these companies in order to compare cost estimates and to be sure that they are doing business with mitigation experts who will wipe out any damages that result from smoke, fire and soot.
Following these tips gives homeowners the opportunity to make the most out of any damage that they experience. This is a win-win situation and will help people to keep their home intact no matter what. By following these tips, homeowners will be well prepared for emergency situations and will give people the chance to take action when it is time to. Reach out to contractors that can handle these jobs for the best home condition possible. For more information on fire damage, visit https://www.SERVPROwestakron.com/
SERVPRO of West Akron: 330-867-5723
Check your Smoke Detectors in your Akron Home!
Kitchen fire in an Akron home.
Unless we hear the beep…beep…beep we don’t think much of our smoke alarms until we hear the battery is low sound. It is important to change your battery or your smoke detectors before you hear the beep to save your home or business from a fire!
A homeowner in Akron just recently had a fire in their home that was started by in the kitchen when the homeowner left food cooking on the stove and forgot about it. The smoke alarm went off and everyone in the house evacuated safely. The smoke alarms worked, alerting the family, so they could evacuate and quickly call the fire department to come put out the fire. If the smoke alarms weren’t functionally properly the family may not have gotten out in time.
According to FEMA and the American Red Cross to properly maintain your smoke detectors, please test them at least once a month. It is important to replace your detector if it is over 10-years old. Also, according to FEMA, the risk of death if you do have a home fire is cut in half for homes with smoke alarms.
If your home is damaged by a fire, please call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723. Our crews are professionally trained to cleanup and restore your home or business.
Don’t forget to check your smoke detectors!
SERVPRO of West Akron has Emergency Board up Services for your Home or Business in Akron, Ohio
A garage board up after a house fire in Stow, Ohio.
After severe storms, a fire or even a break in you can call SERVPRO of West Akron 24/7/365 to board up your home or business.
After a fire is put out by the fire department or a break in to your office building or a severe storm damages your structure the belongings inside will be left wide open to show the entire world the valuables that you have in your home or business. You will be overwhelmed with everything that has just happened and left completely helpless wondering how you will be able to protect your home or business of your belongings. SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7 to board up your entrances and exits as well as your windows and any structural damage. Our crews are professionally are highly trained to board up your home safely and securely. After the board up has been completed we will then begin cleaning and restoring your home or business to “Like it never even happened.”
Please call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to help you with an Emergency Board up!
Fire Safety Tips for homeowners in Akron, Ohio
Home Fire in Akron, Ohio
It is very important to educate your family of fire safety and to have a plan of action. Home fires can start and spread quickly. Just a little bit of planning can make a big difference for your family. Here are a few tips:
- Check Your Smoke Alarms regularly to make sure they are still working properly. Change the batteries every year. Replace all smoke detectors after 10 years.
- Create and Practice a Fire Escape Plan. It is important to have two different escape plans out of every room. Teach your children to stay low and go because smoke is very toxic. Also, Practice feeling the door, doorknob and cracks around the door with the back of your hand to see if they are too hot and finally have a designated meeting place outside and away from the home.
- In an Emergency, Leave Home Immediately. If you are inside during a fire, leave immediately and then when you are safe outside call 911.
- If You’re Stuck Inside, Cover the Areas Where Smoke Might Come In. If you are unable to safely leave your home during a fire, cover your vents, doors and cracks around your door with blankets or towels to keep smoke out of your room then call 911.
- To prevent fires: Keep space heaters away from flammable materials, store gasoline in locked areas away from children, turn off any devices when you leave home, avoid over plugging several appliance cords into the same electrical socket, blow out candles, secure fireplaces with screens. When cooking make sure you don’t have anything flammable near cooking surfaces and have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
SERVPRO of West Akron is your local 24/7 Fire Cleanup and Mitigation company. Call us at 330-867-5723.
SERVPRO Can Help Remove Odors with Deodorization in Akron, Ohio
Kitchen fire in Akron, Ohio.
Even a small fire can cause odors for years if the affected area is not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke and soot damage in your residential home or commercial property can produce nasty and potentially everlasting problems. As the contents and materials burn in your dwelling, the smoke that is produced travels throughout, leaving residues on surfaces and hard to reach areas. It is important to act fast and call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron, to remove these residues before permanently damaging your contents and may result in resurfacing odors. Our crews are IICRC certified to properly clean and remove these odors and residues that are left by fire or smoke damage. We do not cover up any odors with a fragrance, we have specialized SERVPRO cleaning products that will restore your items and deodorize your walls, floors, ceilings, and contents. If you suffer from a fire, please call the professionals at SERPVRO West Akron at 330-867-5723 to make it "Like it never even happened."
Smoke Alarm Maintenance for homes in Akron, Ohio
Check your smoke alarms regularly.
Did you know?
7 People die every day from a home fire.
36 People suffer injuries as a result of home fires every day.
$7 Billion in property damage occurs every year.
Properly installed smoke alarms can save lives daily. Smoke alarms should be in every bedroom and on every level of the home including the basement.
To properly maintain smoke alarms you should test them monthly. There are several types of smoke alarms. If you have an alarm with non-replaceable batteries you need to replace the entire smoke alarm unit replaced every ten years. Other alarms that use batteries need to replace the batteries every year, and the unit replace every ten years. If the alarm chirps signaling low battery, take the proper steps to replace the unit or batteries immediately. Never disable or remove the batter from an alarm. Almost half of fires where smoke alarms were present by did not activate had missing or disconnected batteries. (According to National Fire Protection Association)
If you need help installing, testing or changing batteries in your smoke alarms, contact your local fire department, an electrician, or the American Red Cross.
Be sure your home has a fire emergency plan in place and conduct regular fire drills. If you do end up having a fire, please contact the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron to do the clean up for you.
Need fire clean up please call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723.
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of West Akron
Everyone loves to decorate for the holidays, but pretty lights and candles that bring holiday cheer can make your holidays from festive to frightening. Here are a few safety tips from the American Red Cross that can reduce the risk of fire to your home or business during this holiday season in Summit County, Ohio.
- Make sure you’re Christmas tree, candles or other decorations are at least three feet away from any heat sources such as fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators and heat vents.
- Check all light strings to make sure they are in good condition. Do not use any electrical cords that are frayed and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to properly use them.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Blow out all candles before leaving your home or going to bed.
Disasters don’t wait for regular business hours. SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7, including holidays. Call us at 330-867-5723.
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes you a SAFE and HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!
Deep Frying Turkey Dangers!
The leaves are falling and the cool air has arrived in North East Ohio. We all know what that means…THANKSGIVING is almost here. Every year deep-fryer fires are responsible for deaths, injuries, the destruction of homes, and more than $15-million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Our crews at SERVPRO have arrived to clean many house fires do to deep frying turkey fires. We want to make sure that your family stays safe this holiday season. Please be aware of the below points when planning your holiday menu this year.
- Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area put fyer in an open area outside.
- An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, please lower turkey slowly to prevent over spilling and splatter.
- Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
- With out thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handels can get very hot.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Crews Available -
Turkey, stuffing, cranberries and pie,
We eat wayyyy too much…sigh...
Thanksgiving is almost here,
Time flew by so fast this year.
Be careful on your travels this day,
And please remember SERVPRO can be on the way.
We are available with crews galore,
Just one call and we’ll be out the door.
No need to interrupt your family and friends,
We will start in a hurry and be there until the end.
When fire or water damage puts things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5753 for your next fire or water clean up, "Like it never even happened!"
Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours!
Top 4 Fire Safety Tips
SERVPRO of West Akron Top 4 Fire Safety Tips
If is very important to have a fire escape plan in action whether it be at your place of business or your home. All buildings are different, so being prepared is very important for you and your families safety. Having an escape plan is as simple as knowing the route to take to safely exit a room in the case of an emergency. It is also important to have multiple escape plans or alternative ways for you, your family and friends to safely exit your home or business in case a fire is blocking an exit.
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home.
2. Test smoke alarms every month. Change batteries yearly.
3. Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and to practice it twice a year.
4. If a fire occurs in your home, get out, stay out and call for help!
If you have suffered fire damage to your home or business in Summit County please call SERVPRO of West Akron now at 330-867-5723.
Fire & Smoke Damage Tips for your home in Summit County Ohio
SERVPRO of West Akron was recently called out to a home in Tallmadge Ohio to clean up after a fire started in this home.
The one place you feel completely safe is your own home. This can change in a second when a fire starts and smoke fills your home. The residue that is left behind after the fire is out is SOOT. Soot is a black powdery or flaky substance consisting largely of amorphous carbon, produced by the incomplete burning of organic matter. Do not take cleaning soot into your own hands, its important to call the professionals of SERVPRO of West Akron to cleanup after a fire burns your home. Below are helpful tips:
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
SERVPRO of West Akron has highly trained professionals to call 24-hours a day to help clean up and restore your home. 330-867-5723
Fire Safety During this Holiday Season
Christmas Tree on Fire
This time of year we decorate our homes with trees, pretty lights, candles and decorations. These items bring smiles to our faces as we celebrate the holidays. Unfortunately, some of these items can cause a fire to your home or business.
The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to reduce the fire risk:
1. Place Christmas trees, candles and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from the heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
2. Make sue that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
3. Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
4. Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
5. Use only sturdy tree stands designed not to tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
6. Keep anything that can catch on fire - pot holders, oven mits, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains - away from your stove top.
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes you and your family a safe and happy holiday season.
SERVPRO of West Akron Smoke and Soot Clean up
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Summit County Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of West Akron will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723