Recent Fire Damage Posts
Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration in Akron, Ohio
SERVPRO of West Akron specializes in fire and smoke damage to homes in Akron, Ohio.
SERVPRO® Cleanup & Restoration: Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
Behavior of Smoke:
A fire loss can result in complex damages because of the unique behavior of smoke. A trained professional should survey the loss site to determine the extent to which fire, smoke, heat, and moisture impacted building materials and contents.
Experienced fire restoration professionals know that smoke can penetrate within cavities of the structure, causing hidden damage and odor. Their knowledge of building systems helps them investigate how far smoke damage may have spread.
Heat will Escape: Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
Heat Rises: Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
Different Types of Smoke:
The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
- Wet Smoke (Plastic and Rubbery) – Low heat, smoldering pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke (Paper and Wood) – Fast burning, high-temperature, heat rises therefore this smoke can rise faster.
- Protein Fire Residue (Food/Meats) – Produced by evaporations of materials rather than from fire. Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage Questions?
Call Us Today – 330-867-5723
SERVPRO® of West Akron will help to make it "Like it never even happened." ®
We are Experts in Water Damage Restoration, Fire Damage Restoration, Water and Fire Cleanup and Restoration.
Fire Escape Plan Ideas for Homeowners in Tallmadge, Ohio
If you experience fire damage to your Tallmadge, Ohio house, Call SERVPRO of West Akron to clean up and restore.
Every second counts during a fire. It crucial to be prepared! Having a fire escape plan in place can be the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy. A survey conducted by the American Red Cross shows only 26% of families and businesses have developed and practiced the fire escape plan. Once you have created your plan, it is imperative that everyone understands and practices the plan.
The following are a few ideas to help develop your fire escape plan:
- Draw a map of each level of your home or business and show all the doors and windows. Find a secondary exit of each room in case the primary exit is blocked. Check all doors and windows regularly to make sure they open easily.
- Consider escape ladders on the second and third floors. Store them in an easy assessable area to where they will be used.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Choose an outside meeting place a safe distance in front of your home where everyone can meet.
- Teach children how to scape on their own in case you cannot help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Teach your children not to be afraid of firefighters, so they can locate them in the house if they are trapped.
Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 for all your fire damage needs!
Fire Damage to Your Belongings in Your Akron Home
Hire the best Fire Cleanup & Restoration Company in Akron, Ohio. Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723.
Experiencing a fire is always challenging. SERVPRO of West Akron has helped many families and businesses restore their property after such a devastating tragedy. Smoke and soot can affect the structure, but also your belongings inside. The sooner you start the cleanup and restoration process the quicker you will get back in your home or back to business. Our crews have the knowledge and experience to determine what to do with your salvageable and unsalvageable materials after a fire.
It is important to make a list of all damaged materials. Depending on the insurance policy, you can get reimbursed for the replacement of damaged items.
After your home or business has been declared by the fire department as safe to enter, you should start making an inventory of all the items that have been damaged in the fire. The list should include all appliances, furniture, decorations, and personal items.
Insurance companies may require you to provide documentation of ownership. This includes receipts, brand name, price, serial number, and a description. If you do not have access to receipts, then try to go through your bank statements or even find photographs in which the item is visible.
It is important to remove any salvageable materials quickly after the fire. Soot and smoke can start deteriorating the unaffected items. The longer items stay secondary damage may occur which could create a complicated situation with insurance.
It is significant to contact the insurance company before any cleaning or restoration work begins. The insurance adjuster will provide a detailed scope of work that will be covered by insurance. If needed, you may need to rent a storage unit or pod to keep any possessions while the structure is being cleaned and rebuilt. Some restoration companies may pack out all the belongings to bring back to their warehouse to clean and store.
A fire can do significant damage to your structure and belongings, some that is irreversible. Consulting and hiring a restoration expert can help you determine if the items are salvageable or unsalvageable. SERVPRO of West Akron can determine if the items can be restored or need to be replaced. Our number one goal is to save anything we possibly can, and make it "Like it never even happened." Contact our IICRC certified crews to help restore and rebuild your home or business after a fire at 330-867-5723.
Fire Damage Restoration Process in Akron, Ohio
SERVPRO of West Akron are fire damage restoration experts to homes in Akron, Ohio.
There is no disaster that hits home quite like a fire. When you have suffered a fire damage you do not have time to waste searching for a company to clean up, restore and rebuild your property. When disaster strikes in Summit County, depend on SERVPRO of West Akron.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. When various materials burn, the soot and residue they create differs greatly and requires a specific cleaning procedure. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” fire damage restoration.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Process
Step1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
Step 6: Cleaning and Repair
Step 7: Restoration.
To learn more about the above fire damage restoration process click here.
The SERVPRO of West Akron crews know just how devastating a fire can be. Fire and water damage can leave your house unsafe and unlivable. They are trained to clean and restore your home with as little disruption as possible. We work with all major insurance companies documenting our process from beginning to end.
Whether the job is big or small we will be there to help make “it never like it even happened”, so you can get back into your home. Call us at 330-867-5723 or visit our website: www.SERVPROwestakron.com.
4th of July Fun can Cause Fire Damage
SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7 in case of a fire during the 4th of July. Be safe this holiday in Canton, Ohio.
Summer weather means cookouts, Fourth of July fireworks, and all sorts of campfire fun! We want to make sure that all our Akron residents will stay safe. Below are some interesting statistics and fire tips to share with your loved ones during the holiday.
- The earliest documentation of fireworks dates back to 7th century China, more than 2000 years ago.
- 40% of those injured are under the age of 16. Keep children away from fireworks.
- Fireworks are not fun for animals. Always keep dogs and cats inside the house when fireworks are being let off. Stay calm and make sure they have somewhere to hide.
- Helpful Tips: Make sure fireworks are legal in your area. Keep a bucket of water or hose near in case of a fire. Never re-light or pick up used fireworks.
- 74 Million Americans will be grilling on the 4th of July.
- 1 Trillion pounds of meat is grilled each 4th of July.
- Propane is the power source for 69% of all frill fires on residential properties.
- Helpful Tips: Never use a grill indoors or in a garage. Keep grill 10 feet away from your house, pets, and kids. If you have a grease fire, use baking soda to put it out, not water.
- Campfires can burn around 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1 out of 3 forest fires are started by people who are careless with campfires.
- Create a fore line for young children. Using a rope, create a boundary surrounding the fire to keep children from getting to close to the flames.
- Helpful Tips: Clear a 5-foot area around your fire to keep flames from spreading. Do not allow children to play around the fire unsupervised. Make sure that the fire is fully extinguished before leaving the area.
If you do have fire damage know that SERVPRO of West Akron is a call and ready throughout the entire Holiday weekend! We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and/or smoke damage. Call us 24/7 at 330-867-5723.
Fire Pit Safety Tips to Prevent a Home Fire in Akron, Ohio
Fire pit safety tips to prevent a fire to your home in Akron, Ohio.
Summer is finally here and during this time of the Coronavirus, it’s time to spend more time outside! For a lot of us in the Akron area, this is the best time of the year to enjoy open fires. No matter where you enjoy your summer bonfires, safety should always be a high priority. Preventing a fire accident to a structure is far easier than having to call a fire and water restoration in the aftermath of such a devastating event.
Here are a few backyard fire pit safety tips to make sure your summer is fun, safe, and memorable.
- Check that your local authority allows open fires in your yard.
- Never burn pressurized wood.
- Don’t use kerosene or gasoline to light your fire.
- Keep a bucket of water, sand, or a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Find a level place for your fire pit.
- Never build a fire pit with smooth river rocks.
- Place your pit at least 10 feet away from any structures.
- Keep your fire constrained to an appropriate size.
- Check the weather.
If a structure fire occurs from a fire pit, call the professional crews at SERVPRO of West Akron. We are ready to help restore your fire damaged home to preloss condition 365 day a year, 24 hours a day. For more information call 330-867-5723 or visit our website at www.SERVPROwestakron.com.
Electrical Fires Can Cause Major Damage to Homes in Akron, Ohio
Electricity can cause fires to homes and business in Akron, Cuyahoga Falls, Tallmadge, Stow and surrounding communities.
Each year, there are 40,000 residential fires due to electrical wiring, claiming more than 350 lives, causing thousands of injuries from shocks and burns, creating 2 million and personal property damage. Electrical receptacles are responsible for 40 deaths and 5,300 fires.
Electricity is our most mysterious form of energy. You can’t see it, hear it or smell it, but you sure can feel it!
Electricity seeks the easiest path to the ground, trying to find a conductor, such as metal, wet wood, or water. Humans are conductors, since 70% of the body is water. So, if a person touches an energized bare wire or faulty equipment while grounded, electricity will instantly pass through the body to the ground, causing a harmful, potentially fatal shock.
Don’t Be Shocked:
- It is estimated that 70% electrocutions could be prevented.
- 32% of all deaths caused by residential electrical systems are as a result of faulty cords and plugs.
- Electrical burns to the mouth accounted for half of the injuries to young to your children.
- Electricity can kill in one second.
Treat electricity with the respect it deserves. Never assume anything! If you experience an electrical fire, please call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron. We have years of know-how dealing with homes and businesses that have had extensive fire, soot and smoke damage, and we know what it takes to restore your Tallmadge, Stow, Cuyahoga Falls, Munroe Falls and Akron property, “Like it never even happened.” Call us 24 hours a day, no job is too small to big for our team. We are always here to help at 330-867-5723.
10 Fire Safety Tips
A candle caused fire and soot damage to this Akron, Ohio home.
According to the United Fire Safety Administration there were 164 fire deaths in 2017.
Here are 10 tips for fire safety!
- Watch your cooking - in the kitchen when you’re frying, grilling, or Bryan wing food. If you must leave, even for short time, turn off the stove.
- Give space heaters space - keep fixed and portable space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that can burn. Turn off heaters when you leave the broom or go to sleep.
- Smoke outside – ask smokers to smoke outside. Have sturdy, deep ashtrays for smokers.
- Keep matches in lighters out of reach - keep matches in lighters a pie, out of the reach of children, preferably in the cabinet with the child.
- Inspect electrical cords - replaced cords that are cracked or damaged have broken plugs or have loose connections.
- Be careful when using candles - keep candles at least 1 foot from anything that can burn. Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Have a home fire escape plan - make a home fire escape plan and practice it at least twice a year.
- Install smoke alarms - install smoke alarms on every level of the home, and side bedrooms, and outside sleeping areas. Interconnected smoke alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Text smoke alarms - test smoke alarms at least once a month and replace batteries once a year or when the alarm chirps to tell you the battery is low. Replace any smoke alarms that is more than 10 years old.
- Install sprinklers - if you are building or remodeling your home, install residential fire sprinklers. Sprinklers can contain and may even extinguish a fire in less than less time than it would take the fire department to arrive.
If you encounter a fire at your home or business, call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to cleanup and restore it to preloss condition.
Home Dryer Fire Safety Tips
A household dryer that is caught on fire. SERVPRO of West Akron is a 24-hour fire restoration company in Akron, Ohio.
According to FEMA, failure to clean home dryers causes 34% of home dryer fires. Home dryer fires cause $35 million in property loss and can even cause injury or death. To reduce the risk of these fires happening in your Akron home follow these safety tips to prevent a close dryer in your home:
Follow these simple safety tips to prevent a close dryer fire in your home.
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter. Clean the lint filter before and after each cycle.
- Do not forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up.
- Check the venting system behind the dryer to make sure that it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.
- Make sure that the outdoor vent flap will open and is not restricted by snow, a bird’s nest or other potential obstacles while operating.
After a laundry dryer fire has caused damaged to your home in the Akron, Ohio area, SERVPRO of West Akron, has the crews and knowledge to restore the contents and structures affected areas. Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. Call us 24-hours a day to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Tips to Avoid Grill Fires in Akron Ohio.
Grill that has caught on fire.
The summer months are the perfect time for grilling, but it is also a major cause of structure fires. According to the NFPA on average 10,200 home fires are started by grills and July is the peak month for grill fires followed by June, May and August.
Here are a few tips to grill safely this summer.
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
If a structure fire occurs from a grill fire SERVPRO of West Akron is ready to help 365 day a year, 24 hours a day. For more information call 330-867-5723 or visit our website at www.SERVPROwestakron.com.
Fire Safety Tips for the Fourth of July in Akron Ohio
A garage caught on fire from a grill in Akron, Ohio.
Fireworks, candles, bonfires and grilling can cause serious fire damage to your property this Fourth of July. It is important to always be careful with any flames indoors or outside. When setting up your family picnic for the holiday make sure that your grill and bonfire are far away from flammable materials such as your house, swing sets, lawn furniture, trees and other household items. A small spark or ember can begin a fire. When it comes to the evening activities of fireworks to begin it is important to follow these guidelines:
- Check the weather, make sure high winds aren't in the forecast. High winds can end up blowing your fireworks farther than expected.
- Have a bucket full of water nearby to extinguish fireworks and sparklers.
- Keep a fire extinguisher with you in case an ember starts a fire.
- Have the audience in a secure area to watch the fireworks. Make sure children aren't running around when lighting off fireworks. Also, don't let children run with handheld sparklers
Fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires per year, including 1,300 structure fires. If something does go wrong during your holiday celebration and a fire breaks out, SERVPRO of West Akron is here to help. It is significant to know that fire damage can lead to other damage to your property. If the fire department was called to put out the flames you will need restoration services for fire along with water damage to your property. Our crews are highly trained to restore your property that was damaged by fire and water.
We are available 24 hours a day even on the Fourth of July! Call your local fire and water damage restoration specialists SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723.
Pet Fire Safety
A smoke detector that was in a fire in Akron, Ohio.
Did you know that house fires affect approximately 500,000 pets each year?
This statistic and tips are according to the American Fire Administration. A pet can easily start a house fire by accidentally knocking over a candle when left attended. They can also knock over halogen lamps and space heaters by a wagging tail or a curious cat. Puppies and kittens can chew and fry electrical cords that be a fire hazard. Here are a few ways to be prepared to keep your pets safe from fire dangers.
- Install plenty of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- Check your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors regularly and change their batteries at least twice a year.
- Invest in monitored smoke detectors. A monitoring smoke detector will notify a fire department if a fire develops while you are away from your home.
- Post stickers on your door and windows to alert fire fighters that there are pets in the household. Put information on these notes that describe how many and what kind of pets are living in the home.
- Make sure your pets wear a collar with identification tags and have a microchip implanted. Taking these precautions can avoid the heartache of a lost pet during these times of chaos.
- Create an evacuation plan for your family and pets. Make sure everyone in your family knows the escape routes.
- Keep leashes, pet carriers and treats by an exit. You will need these to help evacuate your pets during a fire.
Unfortunately, we can never prevent or predict when and if a fire will happen, the most important thing we can do is be prepared!
Keeping Your Bedroom Doors Can Save You From a Fire in Akron, Ohio
Fire damage to a home in Akron, Ohio. The family got out safe.
There are plenty of home fire safety tips to be prepared before there is every any danger of a fire. Of course, it is important to have smoke detectors, throwing away frayed electrical cords, not smoking in bed, or leaving candles unattended, but there is also something else that is very important that people are forgetting to do daily and that is closing your bedroom doors while you sleep.
“According to global independent safety science company UL’s Firefighter Safety Research Institute (FSRI), closing your bedroom door every night before going to sleep could be life-saving. During a nighttime fire, a closed bedroom door can slow the fire’s spread, reduce smoke levels, and provide a barrier against deadly levels of carbon monoxide.”
After a fire has started and the smoke has filled the house having your bedroom door closed at night can give you more time to escape and keep you safe longer while you wait for the fire department. Families belongings, layouts of homes and the materials used in construction is more flammable now. In the 1980’s families had about 17 minutes to escape from their home before it was up in flames and today families only have about 3 minutes to get out the door. Every second counts, so closing bedroom doors will give that added time that may make the difference between life and death.
If you have any fire damage to your home, call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to restore your home.
SERVPRO of West Akron, Fire Damage Specialists
This home was severely damaged by a fire in Akron, Ohio. The homeowners called the team of SERVPRO of West Akron to restore their belongings.
When a person needs to be sure that they can keep their home in great condition after an emergency, it pays to do business with a number of contractors who can provide their assistance. Fire damage and water damage from fire are two of the most devastating types of damage that a home can encounter. If anyone is dealing with fire or water damage from fire, it pays to touch base with a fire cleanup company in your local area of Akron, Ohio who can provide help. Consider these tips to make the most out of this situation.
What are the benefits of hiring a professional company for help?
Anyone dealing with smoke damage or soot damage needs a fire cleanup company to mitigate the work. The reason for this is that soot damage and smoke damage are incredibly debilitating and can cause extensive damage that is hard to deal with. By getting in touch with contractors who can handle the work, homeowners will get the best air quality possible in order to remain healthy and safe inside.
What tips are important when hiring a fire cleanup company in the Akron area?
Anyone in Summit County can benefit in getting in touch with companies that can improve air quality and get rid of damage. This pays dividends as it pertains to keeping the home in the highest condition possible. Fire and smoke can create extraordinary damage, which can be expensive and troubling. By having the help of contractors in the area, people will be able to make the most out of their household and prevent an emergency from becoming any worse. Instead, they will be able to tidy their home up and prevent serious damage that will last a long time.
How can a person hire one of these companies?
A person who wants to get all that they need out of the restoration process will want to do business with the best company in the area who can provide assistance. In order to make this happen, it pays to start with the Better Business Bureau and local and state listings throughout Ohio. This will point out the highest quality companies in the area and will allow people to get all that they need in terms of matching up with the best. People should also reach out to these companies in order to compare cost estimates and to be sure that they are doing business with mitigation experts who will wipe out any damages that result from smoke, fire and soot.
Following these tips gives homeowners the opportunity to make the most out of any damage that they experience. This is a win-win situation and will help people to keep their home intact no matter what. By following these tips, homeowners will be well prepared for emergency situations and will give people the chance to take action when it is time to. Reach out to contractors that can handle these jobs for the best home condition possible. For more information on fire damage, visit https://www.SERVPROwestakron.com/
SERVPRO of West Akron: 330-867-5723
Check your Smoke Detectors in your Akron Home!
Kitchen fire in an Akron home.
Unless we hear the beep…beep…beep we don’t think much of our smoke alarms until we hear the battery is low sound. It is important to change your battery or your smoke detectors before you hear the beep to save your home or business from a fire!
A homeowner in Akron just recently had a fire in their home that was started by in the kitchen when the homeowner left food cooking on the stove and forgot about it. The smoke alarm went off and everyone in the house evacuated safely. The smoke alarms worked, alerting the family, so they could evacuate and quickly call the fire department to come put out the fire. If the smoke alarms weren’t functionally properly the family may not have gotten out in time.
According to FEMA and the American Red Cross to properly maintain your smoke detectors, please test them at least once a month. It is important to replace your detector if it is over 10-years old. Also, according to FEMA, the risk of death if you do have a home fire is cut in half for homes with smoke alarms.
If your home is damaged by a fire, please call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723. Our crews are professionally trained to cleanup and restore your home or business.
Don’t forget to check your smoke detectors!
SERVPRO of West Akron has Emergency Board up Services for your Home or Business in Akron, Ohio
A garage board up after a house fire in Stow, Ohio.
After severe storms, a fire or even a break in you can call SERVPRO of West Akron 24/7/365 to board up your home or business.
After a fire is put out by the fire department or a break in to your office building or a severe storm damages your structure the belongings inside will be left wide open to show the entire world the valuables that you have in your home or business. You will be overwhelmed with everything that has just happened and left completely helpless wondering how you will be able to protect your home or business of your belongings. SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7 to board up your entrances and exits as well as your windows and any structural damage. Our crews are professionally are highly trained to board up your home safely and securely. After the board up has been completed we will then begin cleaning and restoring your home or business to “Like it never even happened.”
Please call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to help you with an Emergency Board up!
Fire Safety Tips for homeowners in Akron, Ohio
Home Fire in Akron, Ohio
It is very important to educate your family of fire safety and to have a plan of action. Home fires can start and spread quickly. Just a little bit of planning can make a big difference for your family. Here are a few tips:
- Check Your Smoke Alarms regularly to make sure they are still working properly. Change the batteries every year. Replace all smoke detectors after 10 years.
- Create and Practice a Fire Escape Plan. It is important to have two different escape plans out of every room. Teach your children to stay low and go because smoke is very toxic. Also, Practice feeling the door, doorknob and cracks around the door with the back of your hand to see if they are too hot and finally have a designated meeting place outside and away from the home.
- In an Emergency, Leave Home Immediately. If you are inside during a fire, leave immediately and then when you are safe outside call 911.
- If You’re Stuck Inside, Cover the Areas Where Smoke Might Come In. If you are unable to safely leave your home during a fire, cover your vents, doors and cracks around your door with blankets or towels to keep smoke out of your room then call 911.
- To prevent fires: Keep space heaters away from flammable materials, store gasoline in locked areas away from children, turn off any devices when you leave home, avoid over plugging several appliance cords into the same electrical socket, blow out candles, secure fireplaces with screens. When cooking make sure you don’t have anything flammable near cooking surfaces and have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
SERVPRO of West Akron is your local 24/7 Fire Cleanup and Mitigation company. Call us at 330-867-5723.
SERVPRO Can Help Remove Odors with Deodorization in Akron, Ohio
Kitchen fire in Akron, Ohio.
Even a small fire can cause odors for years if the affected area is not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke and soot damage in your residential home or commercial property can produce nasty and potentially everlasting problems. As the contents and materials burn in your dwelling, the smoke that is produced travels throughout, leaving residues on surfaces and hard to reach areas. It is important to act fast and call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron, to remove these residues before permanently damaging your contents and may result in resurfacing odors. Our crews are IICRC certified to properly clean and remove these odors and residues that are left by fire or smoke damage. We do not cover up any odors with a fragrance, we have specialized SERVPRO cleaning products that will restore your items and deodorize your walls, floors, ceilings, and contents. If you suffer from a fire, please call the professionals at SERPVRO West Akron at 330-867-5723 to make it "Like it never even happened."
Smoke Alarm Maintenance for homes in Akron, Ohio
Check your smoke alarms regularly.
Did you know?
7 People die every day from a home fire.
36 People suffer injuries as a result of home fires every day.
$7 Billion in property damage occurs every year.
Properly installed smoke alarms can save lives daily. Smoke alarms should be in every bedroom and on every level of the home including the basement.
To properly maintain smoke alarms you should test them monthly. There are several types of smoke alarms. If you have an alarm with non-replaceable batteries you need to replace the entire smoke alarm unit replaced every ten years. Other alarms that use batteries need to replace the batteries every year, and the unit replace every ten years. If the alarm chirps signaling low battery, take the proper steps to replace the unit or batteries immediately. Never disable or remove the batter from an alarm. Almost half of fires where smoke alarms were present by did not activate had missing or disconnected batteries. (According to National Fire Protection Association)
If you need help installing, testing or changing batteries in your smoke alarms, contact your local fire department, an electrician, or the American Red Cross.
Be sure your home has a fire emergency plan in place and conduct regular fire drills. If you do end up having a fire, please contact the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron to do the clean up for you.
Need fire clean up please call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723.
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of West Akron
Everyone loves to decorate for the holidays, but pretty lights and candles that bring holiday cheer can make your holidays from festive to frightening. Here are a few safety tips from the American Red Cross that can reduce the risk of fire to your home or business during this holiday season in Summit County, Ohio.
- Make sure you’re Christmas tree, candles or other decorations are at least three feet away from any heat sources such as fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators and heat vents.
- Check all light strings to make sure they are in good condition. Do not use any electrical cords that are frayed and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to properly use them.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Blow out all candles before leaving your home or going to bed.
Disasters don’t wait for regular business hours. SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7, including holidays. Call us at 330-867-5723.
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes you a SAFE and HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!
Deep Frying Turkey Dangers!
The leaves are falling and the cool air has arrived in North East Ohio. We all know what that means…THANKSGIVING is almost here. Every year deep-fryer fires are responsible for deaths, injuries, the destruction of homes, and more than $15-million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Our crews at SERVPRO have arrived to clean many house fires do to deep frying turkey fires. We want to make sure that your family stays safe this holiday season. Please be aware of the below points when planning your holiday menu this year.
- Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area put fyer in an open area outside.
- An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, please lower turkey slowly to prevent over spilling and splatter.
- Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
- With out thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handels can get very hot.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Crews Available -
Turkey, stuffing, cranberries and pie,
We eat wayyyy too much…sigh...
Thanksgiving is almost here,
Time flew by so fast this year.
Be careful on your travels this day,
And please remember SERVPRO can be on the way.
We are available with crews galore,
Just one call and we’ll be out the door.
No need to interrupt your family and friends,
We will start in a hurry and be there until the end.
When fire or water damage puts things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5753 for your next fire or water clean up, "Like it never even happened!"
Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours!
Top 4 Fire Safety Tips
SERVPRO of West Akron Top 4 Fire Safety Tips
If is very important to have a fire escape plan in action whether it be at your place of business or your home. All buildings are different, so being prepared is very important for you and your families safety. Having an escape plan is as simple as knowing the route to take to safely exit a room in the case of an emergency. It is also important to have multiple escape plans or alternative ways for you, your family and friends to safely exit your home or business in case a fire is blocking an exit.
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home.
2. Test smoke alarms every month. Change batteries yearly.
3. Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and to practice it twice a year.
4. If a fire occurs in your home, get out, stay out and call for help!
If you have suffered fire damage to your home or business in Summit County please call SERVPRO of West Akron now at 330-867-5723.
Fire & Smoke Damage Tips for your home in Summit County Ohio
SERVPRO of West Akron was recently called out to a home in Tallmadge Ohio to clean up after a fire started in this home.
The one place you feel completely safe is your own home. This can change in a second when a fire starts and smoke fills your home. The residue that is left behind after the fire is out is SOOT. Soot is a black powdery or flaky substance consisting largely of amorphous carbon, produced by the incomplete burning of organic matter. Do not take cleaning soot into your own hands, its important to call the professionals of SERVPRO of West Akron to cleanup after a fire burns your home. Below are helpful tips:
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
SERVPRO of West Akron has highly trained professionals to call 24-hours a day to help clean up and restore your home. 330-867-5723
Fire Safety During this Holiday Season
Christmas Tree on Fire
This time of year we decorate our homes with trees, pretty lights, candles and decorations. These items bring smiles to our faces as we celebrate the holidays. Unfortunately, some of these items can cause a fire to your home or business.
The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to reduce the fire risk:
1. Place Christmas trees, candles and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from the heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
2. Make sue that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
3. Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
4. Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
5. Use only sturdy tree stands designed not to tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
6. Keep anything that can catch on fire - pot holders, oven mits, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains - away from your stove top.
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes you and your family a safe and happy holiday season.
SERVPRO of West Akron Smoke and Soot Clean up
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Summit County Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of West Akron will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723