Mold Growth due to Water Damage
Mold Growth in homes in Akron, Ohio from water damage.
The most common causes of mold growing on walls are due to high humidity, condensation and water leaks from pipe breaks inside the walls.
Condensation forms when water vapor in the air meets cold surfaces and cools to become liquid. Condensation forms on the perimeter of walls on a house because the outside walls are often colder from the outside air on the other side of the house.
If you have high humidity in your home from drying wet clothes inside or steam from hot water might start mold growth on your walls and ceilings in your home. The best way to decrease humidity is to ventilate your home by opening windows and doors. Also, running a dehumidifier or air conditioning will help remove the humidity in your home.
Leaking pipes near or inside of walls or ceilings are a common cause of mold. If there is a leaking pipe inside a wall cavity then mold will start to grow and unfortunately won’t be discovered until mold has already started.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
SERVPRO of West Akron recommends that you DO:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact a SERVPRO of West Akron and a mold remediation specialist will help you.
SERVPRO of West Akron recommends that you DO NOT:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Have a Mold Problem in Akron, Ohio? Call SERVPRO of West Akron Today at 330-867-5723.