Holiday Safety Tips for Your Business in Akron, Ohio
Holiday decorations are hung with care at home, but some businesses even enjoy the festive lights, trees, and hanging décor to fill the hallways and foyers for their employees and customers. It its important that companies have a set of safety measures that may not be present during the rest of the year.
Follow these top 10 safety tips to ensure a safe and happy holiday workplace:
- Do not block any exits. Keep all walkways free of wires, cords, boxes, or any of the material you are putting up. When people are working in a disorderly fashion, they can easily trip and fall.
- Do not put any decorations on sprinklers. It is essential to verify that none of your decorations block exit signage or fire safety equipment.
- Place Christmas tree in an area that is not near any heating elements.
- Consider an artificial tree, which poses less risk than a live one. If you have a live tree, make sure that it is properly watered, so it does not dry out, which is a fire hazard.
- Prior to use, inspect lights and extension cords for defects or damage. Check for loose connections, cracked or broken sockets and bare or frayed wires. Replace burned-out or broken light bulbs. Workers should report all defects to their supervisor.
- Make sure you do not create a maze of wires, cords and plugs when plugging in Christmas lighting.
- Never use outdoor lights indoors.
- Make sure Christmas lights and other electrical outdoor decorations are plugged into a ground-fault circuit interrupter. This device helps prevent electric shock and fire.
- Never use nails or tacks to secure cords of lights. Also, do not run strings of lights through hooks.
- Always turn off Christmas lights before leaving the business premises. Never leave them on overnight.
Keep all relevant OSHA regulations in mind when decorating your workplace: both when in the process of decorating and making sure you do not create new safety hazards that will last for the duration of the month.
If you experience a fire loss in your commercial building, call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to restore and rebuild.