Smoke Alarm Maintenance for homes in Akron, Ohio
Check your smoke alarms regularly.
Did you know?
7 People die every day from a home fire.
36 People suffer injuries as a result of home fires every day.
$7 Billion in property damage occurs every year.
Properly installed smoke alarms can save lives daily. Smoke alarms should be in every bedroom and on every level of the home including the basement.
To properly maintain smoke alarms you should test them monthly. There are several types of smoke alarms. If you have an alarm with non-replaceable batteries you need to replace the entire smoke alarm unit replaced every ten years. Other alarms that use batteries need to replace the batteries every year, and the unit replace every ten years. If the alarm chirps signaling low battery, take the proper steps to replace the unit or batteries immediately. Never disable or remove the batter from an alarm. Almost half of fires where smoke alarms were present by did not activate had missing or disconnected batteries. (According to National Fire Protection Association)
If you need help installing, testing or changing batteries in your smoke alarms, contact your local fire department, an electrician, or the American Red Cross.
Be sure your home has a fire emergency plan in place and conduct regular fire drills. If you do end up having a fire, please contact the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron to do the clean up for you.
Need fire clean up please call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723.
Emergency Ready Profile Call SERVPRO of West Akron
Call SERVPRO of West Akron for your commercial Emergency Ready Profile to be prepared when a fire or water disaster strikes.
Be Ready in 2018! Did you know that 50% of businesses do not reopen after a water or fire disaster? It's time for you to be "Ready for whatever happens". Call one of our sales representatives to schedule an Emergency Preparedness Plan (ERP) for your commercial building in the Akron Ohio area.
What is an ERP?
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise profile document containing only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes SERVPRO of West Akron as your professional disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification if the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
The advantages of having the Emergency Ready Profile can help minimize your business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your building. Being prepared is the key to making it through any size disaster from a water leak from a toilet overflow, sprinkler malfunction, a small or large fire or an area flood.
Please don't wait until disaster strikes call SERVPRO of West Akron today to get your individualized Emergency Ready Profile for your commercial facility ~ 330-867-5723!
Flooding Preparation During Winter Weather Storms
Water in a basement in Akron from flooding.
During the changes in weather from snow to rain in Akron, Ohio there is a potential of flooding. Here are a few ways you can prepare for potential flooding:
- Check with your local council about local flood plans or records which detail problem areas
- Ask authorities about relocation routes and centers
- If your area is flood prone consider alternatives to carpets
- Prepare an emergency kit
- Prepare a household flood plan
- Keep a list of emergency telephone numbers on display
- Check your insurance policy to see if you are covered for flood damage?
It is important to contact a restoration company within the first 24 hours of a flooded home or business, so we can fully restore your home or business to its pre-flood damage condition. However, waiting more than 48 hours to begin the restoration and flood damage mitigation process increases the chance that the flooded home or business will incur damage. Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 for immediate assistance to clean up and restore your home or business from water damage caused by flooding.
SERVPRO Emergency Supply Kit
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Kit
SERVPRO of West Akron believes in being Prepared for a winter weather storm. One of the first ways of doing this is to have an emergency supply kit. It may be different depending on what type of disasters you are likely to encounter but this is a good starter list.
- Water (one gallon water per person per day)
- Food (non-perishable 3-day supply)
- Battery-operated radio, preferably a NOAA Weather Radio
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal help
- Dust mask
- Hygiene items
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener
- Local Maps
- Cell phone with chargers
- Important documents
- Fire extinguisher
Put this emergency kit in a safe place that easily able to be found by all members of your family. If you find your home damaged by a storm, please call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 for 24/7 emergency water cleanup and restoration.
Commercial Building Pipe Breaks in Stow, Tallmadge, Akron and Cuyahoga Falls
Pipe Break in a ceiling
During the winter months the areas of Stow, Tallmadge, Akron and Cuyahoga Falls may experience freezing temperatures one day and warming temperatures the next. When this happens businesses experience pipe breaks. Businesses owners will try to save on their heating bill by lowering it when the building is closed. Although the heat may be set at an optimal temperature for pipes there are spaces where pipes may freeze. Drafty areas, outside walls, and missing insulation have been the cause of pipe freezes in commercial buildings. At times the heat may have been accidentally turned off by an employee who cannot bear the heat. In any of the above cases the pipe will freeze and burst causing a major water intrusion. SERVPRO of West Akron has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial flooding or water damage emergencies. Whether your water emergency occurs in a small office building or big box store, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion. Learn more about Learn more about our training and certifications. When a pipe has frozen in your business call SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7 to come assess the damage and get your business back to work. Call us today at 330-867-5723!
Are you winter ready in Summit and Stark County Ohio
Pipe broke in this commercial building in Akron.
The cold weather that is coming to North East Ohio can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not ready for it. Heavy rain and freezing temperatures to damaging winds, sleet or snow that al can cause serious and costly property damage. Since, we can’t control the weather we can take steps to prepare. Here are a few steps:
- Check your business property for damaged tree branches or limbs. Wind, heavy rain, snow and ice can cause branches to fall on your structure causing property damage and personal injuries.
- Check or roofs, water pipes and gutters that they are in proper order. You don’t want any obstructions that can lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect walkways and parking lots for proper drainage to alleviate any possible flooding hazards.
- Inspect handrails, stairwells and entryways to address any potential slippery or hazardous areas.
- Protect water popes from freezing by allowing water to drip when freezing temperatures, leave cabinet doors open allowing the warm inside to circulate around the pipes. If your property has outside faucets then consider shutting water off at the main valve and don’t forget to open the outdoor faucet to drain any remaining water to prevent the water left inside to freeze.
Please contact us for a Free – no obligation Emergency Ready Profile for your business that provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a water or fire disaster. Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723!
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of West Akron
Everyone loves to decorate for the holidays, but pretty lights and candles that bring holiday cheer can make your holidays from festive to frightening. Here are a few safety tips from the American Red Cross that can reduce the risk of fire to your home or business during this holiday season in Summit County, Ohio.
- Make sure you’re Christmas tree, candles or other decorations are at least three feet away from any heat sources such as fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators and heat vents.
- Check all light strings to make sure they are in good condition. Do not use any electrical cords that are frayed and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to properly use them.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Blow out all candles before leaving your home or going to bed.
Disasters don’t wait for regular business hours. SERVPRO of West Akron is available 24/7, including holidays. Call us at 330-867-5723.
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes you a SAFE and HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!
Winter Storm Damage Tips
Pipe Break in a garage from a winter storm.
As the weather outside gets frightful and your home becomes cozy and delightful the holiday season's aglow the snow begins to blow. It is very important to be prepared for when winter weather strikes at your home, business or even traveling. Here are some great tips:
7 Tips to Get Your Home Ready for Cold Weather
- Protect Your Pipes:
- Drain water from outdoor faucets and sprinkler systems to keep those pipes from freezing.
- Disconnect and store outdoor hoses; cover outdoor faucets with foam insulators.
- Protect water pipes that run through unheated areas of your home with insulation, such as the attic, basement, or garage.
- Check the Heat:
- Change your furnace filter at the start of the season and then every two to four months. Filters get dirty much more quickly if your home is dusty or if you have furry or feathery pets. Clogged or dirty filters are less efficient, which means your home might not warm up properly.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat if you don't have one. Programming it to be cooler at night and when you're not at home will save you money, and you can program it to be warmer for when you return or get up on cold winter mornings.
- Prevent Ice Dams
- Clogged gutters and downspouts are the No. 1 cause of ice dams. Clean them out to keep water flowing during the winter.
- Seal places that may allow warm air to leak from your home to your attic, such as around vent pipes, exhaust fans, chimneys, attic hatches and light fixtures.
- Clean off soffit vents which are along the eaves of the house that allow air to flow into the attic.
- Clean and Store Lawn Equipment:
- Clean the machine of oil and yard debris and sharpen the blades.
- Store them for winter in a basement, garage, or covered storage shed where they're safe from the weather.
- Inspect the Fireplace and Chimney
- Make sure fireplace and chimney are clean and animal free.
- Close flue when you are not using your fireplace to prevent cold air coming into home from chimney.
- Install glass glass fireplace doors or a chimney inflatable that blocks cold air from coming down the chimney and keeps in warm air.
- Seal Windows and Doors:
- Caulk around windows and install weather stripping around doors where there are gaps.
- Upgrading to double-pane windows and insulated doors to boost the energy efficiency of your home.
- Stock Up on Cold-weather Essentials:
- Make an emergency kit for when a severe storm hits.
- Fire extinguisher
- Alternative heat source
- Shovel or icemelt, salt or sand
- Family plan of action in case you aren’t together when a winter storm hits.
Stay warm, save money and prevent damage to your home from cold and snow with these simple steps.
SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723 your 24/7 Emergency Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration Company!
Deep Frying Turkey Dangers!
The leaves are falling and the cool air has arrived in North East Ohio. We all know what that means…THANKSGIVING is almost here. Every year deep-fryer fires are responsible for deaths, injuries, the destruction of homes, and more than $15-million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Our crews at SERVPRO have arrived to clean many house fires do to deep frying turkey fires. We want to make sure that your family stays safe this holiday season. Please be aware of the below points when planning your holiday menu this year.
- Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area put fyer in an open area outside.
- An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, please lower turkey slowly to prevent over spilling and splatter.
- Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
- With out thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handels can get very hot.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Crews Available -
Turkey, stuffing, cranberries and pie,
We eat wayyyy too much…sigh...
Thanksgiving is almost here,
Time flew by so fast this year.
Be careful on your travels this day,
And please remember SERVPRO can be on the way.
We are available with crews galore,
Just one call and we’ll be out the door.
No need to interrupt your family and friends,
We will start in a hurry and be there until the end.
When fire or water damage puts things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5753 for your next fire or water clean up, "Like it never even happened!"
Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours!