SERVPRO of West Akron - One Stop Shop
A tree fell on the roof of a home in Akron, Ohio. Our team removed the tree, tarped the roof, remediated the water and structural damage.
No need to look any further for a company that can help you with your clean up and restoration to your home or business after a severe storm.
SERVPRO of West Akron has a professional and knowledgeable team who consistently works hard to quickly and efficiently clean up after a disaster. Our team was recently called out to home in Akron Ohio after a storm came through this area and damaged this home. We have a crew that is available 24/7 to board up or roof tarp a home or building that has been damaged by wind or heavy rain. We were then able to get our clean up team at the house to dry out the water damage. After the dry out was complete our highly skilled construction team was able to rebuild the roof and all structural damage.
Call us today, your one stop shop for your next storm damage clean up! SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723
Have you found Mold Growth on your Walls and/or Ceilings in your home?
Mold on a wall due to a pipe break
Have you found Mold Growth on your Walls and/or Ceilings in your home?
The most common causes of mold growing on walls are due to high humidity, condensation and water leaks from pipe breaks inside the walls.
Condensation forms when water vapor in the air meets cold surfaces and cools to become liquid. Condensation forms on the perimeter of walls on a house because the outside walls are often colder from the outside air on the other side of the house.
If you have high humidity in your home from drying wet clothes inside or steam from hot water might start mold growth on your walls and ceilings in your home. The best way to decrease humidity is to ventilate your home by opening windows and doors. Also, running a dehumidifier or air conditioning will help remove the humidity in your home.
Leaking pipes near or inside of walls or ceilings are a common cause of mold. If there is a leaking pipe inside a wall cavity then mold will start to grow and unfortunately won’t be discovered until mold has already started.
Have a Mold Problem in North East Ohio? Call SERVPRO of West Akron Today at 330-867-5723.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
SERVPRO of West Akron recommends that you DO:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact a SERVPRO of West Akron and a mold remediation specialist will help you.
SERVPRO of West Akron recommends that you DO NOT:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Water Damage in Summit County, Ohio
SERVPRO of West Akron equipment drying out a water damage room.
Water Damage in Summit County, Ohio
When your home or business is affected by water loss, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is essential to the proper clean up. At SERVPRO of West Akron our crews are IICRC Certified in understand the three different types of water.
- Clean Water – This type of water damage usually comes from a broken pipe, or other water source. Rain water can also be considered clean water.
- Grey Water – The term gray water is used to classify the water damage as slightly contaminated water. For example; clean water becomes grey water when it is left untreated allowing contaminates and bacteria to begin growing making the water hazardous.
- Black Water – This form of water is highly contaminated and filled with bacteria, fungi chemicals and more. Black water is usually sewage damaged by flooding or any type of natural disaster.
SERVPRO of West Akron was recently called to help a homeowner in Stow, Ohio for a water loss. As our crews proceeded to get the trucks full of our fans and humidifiers we gave the homeowner several suggestions to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while they waited for our team to arrive.
- Shut off the water source, if possible.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas. DO NOT enter enter rooms with standing water, as electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping especially on wood furniture.
- Remove or prop up wet upholstery cushions to allow more drying time.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and any other valuable items.
- Remove books, newspapers or other colored items on wet carpet as they may bleed and cause staining.
- DO NOT use household vacuum cleaner to remove water because there is potential for electrical shock or cause damage to vacuum cleaner.
- If water damage is caused by black water do not come in contact with it, so you don’t spread it to other areas of the home. Do not turn on HVAC system or ceiling fans to spread contaminate air.
It is always important to call the professionals to classify and clean up all water damage. Your local team in Summit County, Ohio, SERVPRO of West Akron can be reached at 330-867-5723 and is available 24/7 hours a day for emergency clean up and restoration.
Visit http://www.SERVPROwestakron.com/ for more information on water damage and cleanup.
Smoke Alarms are Life Savers
Did you know?
7 People die every day from a home fire.
36 People suffer injuries as a result of home fires every day.
$7 Billion in property damage occurs every year.
Properly installed smoke alarms can save lives daily. Smoke alarms should be in every bedroom and on every level of the home including the basement.
To properly maintain smoke alarms you should test them monthly. There are several types of smoke alarms. If you have an alarm with non-replaceable batteries you need to replace the entire smoke alarm unit replaced every ten years. Other alarms that use batteries need to replace the batteries every year, and the unit replace every ten years. If the alarm chirps signaling low battery, take the proper steps to replace the unit or batteries immediately. Never disable or remove the batter from an alarm. Almost half of fires where smoke alarms were present by did not activate had missing or disconnected batteries. (According to National Fire Protection Association)
If you need help installing, testing or changing batteries in your smoke alarms, contact your local fire department, an electrician, or the American Red Cross.
Be sure your home has a fire emergency plan in place and conduct regular fire drills. If you do end up having a fire, please contact the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron to do the clean up for you.
SERVPRO of West Akron: 330-867-5723
SERVPRO of West Akron - Emergency Ready Profile
Be Ready in 2017!
Be Ready in 2017! Did you know that 50% of businesses do not reopen after a water or fire disaster? It's time for you to be "Ready for whatever happens". Call one of our sales representatives to schedule an Emergency Preparedness Plan (ERP) for your commercial building in the Akron Ohio area.
What is an ERP?
* A no-cost assessment of your facility.
* A concise profile document containing only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
* A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
*Establishes SERVPRO of West Akron as your professional disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
* Identification if the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
* Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
The advantages of having the Emergency Ready Profile can help minimize your business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your building. Being prepared is the key to making it through any size disaster from a water leak from a toilet overflow, sprinkler malfunction, a small or large fire or an area flood.
Please don't wait until disaster strikes call SERVPRO of West Akron today to get your individualized Emergency Ready Profile for your commercial facility ~ 330-867-5723!
Call SERVPRO of West Akron after Storm Damage
SERVPRO of West Akron's Air Movers and Dehumidifiers in our warehouse.
You walk downstairs into your basement after a large rain storm and see 6 inches of water the first thing you will do is PANIC! No need to feel this way especially after you call SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723. Our crews are professionally trained in water clean up and mitigation. When your home is damaged by water, SERVPRO of West Akron, has 40 years of experience in restoring your property giving each homeowner we serve a piece of mind that their home will be put back to pre-loss condition "Like in never even happened!"
Why do you call a water mitigation professional?
We have specialized equipment that will extract the water quickly. SERVPRO of West Akron's truck-mounted and portable extraction equipment can rapidly extract any amount of water. Our industrial air movers and dehumidifiers are than placed to dry out your structure. If you have hard wood, marble or tile flooring we have an injectadry system that is that regular dehumidifiers just can't quite reach. By exchanging the air in a targeted area with negative pressure, the air movement becomes a vehicle for moisture. When caught in time, this can keep your hardwood floor from warping.
No need to panic when it comes to water damage in your home or place of business. Call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-904-7427. We service Stow, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Munroe Falls, Fairlawn, Copley, Akron and other surrounding communities in Ohio!
Fire Safety During this Holiday Season
Christmas Tree on Fire
This time of year we decorate our homes with trees, pretty lights, candles and decorations. These items bring smiles to our faces as we celebrate the holidays. Unfortunately, some of these items can cause a fire to your home or business.
The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to reduce the fire risk:
1. Place Christmas trees, candles and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from the heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
2. Make sue that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
3. Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
4. Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
5. Use only sturdy tree stands designed not to tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
6. Keep anything that can catch on fire - pot holders, oven mits, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains - away from your stove top.
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes you and your family a safe and happy holiday season.
Turkey Fryer Tips from SERVPRO of West Akron
Turkey fryer fire in a garage.
The leaves are falling and the cool air has arrived in North East Ohio. We all know what that means…THANKSGIVING is almost here. Every year deep-fryer fires are responsible for deaths, injuries, the destruction of homes, and more than $15-million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Our crews at SERVPRO have arrived to clean many house fires do to deep frying turkey fires. We want to make sure that your family stays safe this holiday season. We are sharing with you 5 safety tips from: http://www.pbs.org/food/features/five-safety-tips-for-deep-frying-turkey/
- Stay Away from The House– Set up the turkey fryer more than 10 feet away from your home and keep children and pets away. Never leave it unattended.
- Find Flat Ground– The oil must be even and steady at all times to ensure safety. Place the fryer on a flat, level surface and carefully gauge the amount of oil needed.
- Use a Thawed and Dry Turkey– Make sure your Thanksgiving turkey is completely thawed and dry. Extra water will cause the oil to bubble furiously and spill over. If oil spills from the fryer onto the burner, it can cause a fire.
- Monitor the Temp– Use caution when touching the turkey fryer. The lid and handle can become very hot and could cause burns. Also be sure to keep track of the oil’s temperature as many fryers do not have their own thermostats.
- Be Prepared– Have a fire extinguisher (multipurpose, dry-powder) ready at all times in the event that the oil ignites.
SERVPRO of West Akron specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of West Akron 330-867-5723
SERVPRO of West Akron wishes everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Fall Home Maintenance Checklist in Ohio
It's that time of year!
It’s that time of year again! Autumn is here and before you are stuck inside there are still a few fall yard and home cleanup chores that must be done. Yes, we all have spent the whole summer outside pulling weeds, cleaning the deck and watering the flowers. You deserve a break, but we need to properly do our home maintenance before we start our winter hibernation.
So roll up those sleeves one more time so you can witness your home blossom when the warm weather returns. Here are some helpful fall clean-up tips!
November home maintenance checklist for North East Ohio:
HVAC: Vacuum and dust
Garbage Disposal: Crush ice (sharpens); baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
Plumbing: Check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
Garden: Rake leaves, dispose of or mulch, trim branches and shrubs, winterize perennials, clean annuals out, put lawn decorations and outdoor furniture in storage or cover
Sprinkler Systems and Garden Hoses: Turn off and disconnect water hoses and clear all pipes and systems of water before first freeze, insulate any outdoor or exposed faucets/pipes
Roof and gutters: Clean and check for damage
If you do end up with any water or fire damage this winter, please call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723. Our specialized technicians are ready to help you!
September is National Preparedness Month
SERVPRO National Preparedness Flyer
Don’t forget that September is National Preparedness Month!
Each September, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) sponsors National Preparedness Month (http://www.ready.gov) to highlight the importance of being prepared for the unexpected. This is good advice for everyone; but for business owners, being prepared to respond to the aftermath of natural or man-made disasters can literally mean the difference between staying in business and closing the doors forever. According to FEMA*, up to 40 percent of businesses never reopen following a major disaster; just a couple of inches of water can cause thousands of dollars of damage.
SERVPRO of West Akron has a Preparedness planning tool that can help you know exactly who to call and what to do when disaster strikes. I will work with you on your individualized Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) for your facility, at no charge. This comprehensive document contains critical information about your building, including emergency contact information, shut-off valve locations and priority areas. Having this information in hand helps you and SERVPRO to react to an unexpected event quickly and effectively, to help minimize business interruption. And, because disasters are unexpected, there is a Smartphone app and web version of the Program available to provide you with access to your ERP 24/7. Call SERVPRO of West Akron to set up an appointment to discuss this in more detail at 330-867-5723.