If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (330) 867-5723

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Holiday Pet Safety

11/23/2021 (Permalink)

dog cat fireplace Our pets are part of the family. Make sure that they are comfortable and safe during the holidays especially during large family gatherings.

With the holidays approaching, we will be celebrating with family and friends. During this time, we are breaking away from our daily routines that our pets are used to having. It is important to keep them in mind during the hectic holiday excitement. We have a few handy tips for the safety of your pet during the holidays.

  • Inform your visitors ahead of time that you have pets in the home.
  • Though the excitement of a party may overwhelm some pets, keep your pets inside during cold weather and provide plenty of toys to keep them busy.
  • When company starts to arrive, watch the front door closely, when it is open, your pet can take advantage of the opportunity to escape.
  • Signs of anxiety in dogs include hiding, panting, shaking, and inappetence. To avoid anxiety or aggression, we suggest leaving your dog in a secure room with the TV on or radio with soft music.
  • Common signs of feline anxiety include hiding, loss of appetite, excessive vocalizing, and pacing. A Feliway diffuser works wonders to alleviate stress.

Did you know that pets or wild animals have a part in starting about 750 home fires per year? These involve cooking equipment, fireplaces and chimneys, space heaters, lamps, bulbs, wiring, and candles.

Below are some pet safety tips from the NFPA.

  • Pets are curious. They may bump into, turn on, or knock over cooking equipment. Keep pets away from stove and countertops.
  • Keep pests away from candles, lamps, and space heaters.
  • Always use a metal or heated heat tempered glass screen on the fireplace and keep it in place.
  • Keep pests away from Chili’s outside vents. I have a pet free zone of at least three feet away from the fireplace. Glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.
  • Consider battery operated, flameless candles. They can look and smell like real candles.
  • Some pets are tours. Watch pets to make sure that they do not chew through electrical cords. Have any problems checked by a professional.

For more Information visit: www.nfpa.org national fire protection Association.

If you experience a fire, call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 or visit our website at www.SERVPROwestakron.com.

Other News

View Recent Posts