Fire Escape Plan Ideas for Homeowners in Tallmadge, Ohio
Every second counts during a fire. It crucial to be prepared! Having a fire escape plan in place can be the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy. A survey conducted by the American Red Cross shows only 26% of families and businesses have developed and practiced the fire escape plan. Once you have created your plan, it is imperative that everyone understands and practices the plan.
The following are a few ideas to help develop your fire escape plan:
- Draw a map of each level of your home or business and show all the doors and windows. Find a secondary exit of each room in case the primary exit is blocked. Check all doors and windows regularly to make sure they open easily.
- Consider escape ladders on the second and third floors. Store them in an easy assessable area to where they will be used.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Choose an outside meeting place a safe distance in front of your home where everyone can meet.
- Teach children how to scape on their own in case you cannot help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Teach your children not to be afraid of firefighters, so they can locate them in the house if they are trapped.
Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 for all your fire damage needs!