Flooding Tips for Commercial Buildings in Akron, OH
Flooding occurs in the Northeast Ohio area and it ranks as one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. On average, floods cost $6 billion in annual losses in the US. Not only does excessive rain contribute to flooding in commercial buildings, but flooding can also result from plumbing failures, frozen pipes and damaged structures. SERVPRO of West Akron has been on many water losses where floods have been an isolated incident to one room to entire floors being fully submerged.
Being prepared to deal with potential flooding in advance can affect how much of your property can be restored and how much needs to be replaced.
- Determine if your property is in a floodplain
- In any emergency, listen to the local management officials
- Assess how your business functions, both internally and externally, to determine which staff, materials, procedures and equipment are needed to keep the business operating.
- Plan what you will do if your building is not accessible. This type of planning is often referred to as a continuity of operations plan or COOP and includes all facets of your business.
- Plan for payroll continuity.
- Review your emergency plans annually. Just as your business changes over time, so do your preparedness needs. When you hire new employees or when there are changes in how your company functions, you should update your plans and inform your people.
- Visit ready.gov/america/local/index.html for a comprehensive plan and to learn about emergency plans for your state.
- Call SERVPRO of West Akron at 330-867-5723 to get your Emergency Ready Profile.